Update your Content Management System (CMS)
What is it?
WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and Magento are all examples of Content Management Systems (CMS). These are great for making websites! Yet, once a site is created, many users do not realize they need to keep making updates on the site to keep it safe.
Why do I need it?
A CMS is no different than mobile devices and computers. Updates are needed to keep up with new security threats, improve performance, and more.
Hackers search for these updates to see what's vulnerable, create code to exploit it, and use it on sites that that haven’t updated their plugins, themes, or CMS software. If you do not update your CMS, your site is vulnerable.
What do I need to do?
We take care of this so you can spend your time on other things.
Learn how to update your CMS and find a way to remind yourself to do the updates on a regular basis. Dedicate some time each month, or every two weeks to check for any updates and install them if they are available. To help remember, add a recurring meeting to your calendar.
- WordPress: Update WordPress to a new version
- Drupal: Updating Drupal
- Joomla: Keeping your Joomla website up-to-date
- Magento: Magento Security Center, and sign up for the Magento Security Alert Registry
Consider adding a firewall to your site. It can:
- Significantly increase the security of your site.
- Help protect your site from attacks that don’t currently have updates to stop them.
- Protect your site during the time between when the update is released and when you are able to install it.